Monday, December 21, 2009

Could someone tell me the difference between Advice and Advise? I get confuse which one to use when writting.?

Please give example/s for me to understand the difference.Could someone tell me the difference between Advice and Advise? I get confuse which one to use when writting.?
Advice is the noun and Advise is the verb....





same with:





Practice Noun


Practise verb





Licence noun


License verb





Prophecy noun


Prophesy verb





Device noun


Devise verbCould someone tell me the difference between Advice and Advise? I get confuse which one to use when writting.?
advise is a verb, like I ADVISE you to not eat the potato.





advice is a noun, like I gave him some good ADVICE.





that good 4 u?
To adviSe is to give adviCe too. AdviCe is an an opinion recommended or offered, as worthy to be followed; counsel; deliberate consideration; knowledge. Such as I would advise you not to give advice to the dog since he would not understand it.
to advise is to give someone advice.


e.g. if i said ';maybe you should go to the doctors?';


the fact im suggesting it is advising you...going to the doctors is the advice.
If I advise you to improve your spelling that would be good advice.


Advise is the verb, and advice is the noun.
Advise is the verb form





i.e. I advise you to study your lessons well.





Advice is the noun form





i,e, The advice given by him were ignored.
Advice-Noun, an opinion given as recommendation for action. Example: My advice to you would be to go to the Doctor for a professional opinion.


Advise-Verb, to offer an opinion to; recommend,counsel.2. to recommend, to inform.


Example: I advised Jimmy to stop spreading rumours.


Hope that helps.
I am advising you that advice is what you are getting?...





Hope that makes sense!
Shandave2! You have a very nice question to share with us.


Advice is a noun while Advise is a verb.


Examples 1.The students received pieces of advice from the teacher


2.The teacher advised the students.


What the teacher did was advising so the doing word is advise which sometimes reffered to as verb.


What the teacher gave the students was advice which is the noun.


Otherwise shandave2 i believe you feel the difference and make a good writing out of them.
Advice is a noun and advise is a verb. For example, I advise you to, take my advice.
I will ';advise'; you to do something. It is a verb.


I will give you advice. It is a noun.
Its reallyeasy the one with the s is a verb ';to advise'; the other one is a noun ';to give advice';
To advise is to give someone advice. Advice is the thing, advise is the action.





So you advise someone, or you give them advice. ';I advise you'; or ';My advice is';





Saying you advice someone, or you give them advise, is wrong.
advice is when someone gives you tips on something: ex, ';hey, im new to this whole dating thing, could you give me some advice?';





advise is when you help someone to make a decision on something of importance, such as classes to take for the next semester in college: ex, ';im not sure what classes to take next year, i need to get someone to advise me in my decision';
advice is to recommend how to act. advise is to recommend advice. to inform. as in warning about a storm coming.
I'd advise you to seek advice on this matter
i have given advice....i have been advised.....i will advise u to......do u want any advice..... there u go:):):):)
C..is the Noun...S is the verb


Good advice I advise you....


Good practice Go to practise your ball skills.


By the way it's 'writing' not 'writting' (writting rhymes with hitting)
Advice is the noun. Advise is a verb. You can give advice or you can advise someone.
You advise someone how to proceed, they may take your advice, or not





ad·vise


v.tr.


1. To offer advice to; counsel.


2. To recommend; suggest: advised patience.


3. Usage Problem. To inform; notify.





v.intr.


1. To take counsel; consult: She advised with her associates.


2. To offer advice.





SYNONYMS advise, counsel, recommend. These verbs mean to suggest a particular decision or course of action: advised him to go abroad; will counsel her to be prudent; recommended that we wait.





-------





ad·vice


n.


1. Opinion about what could or should be done about a situation or problem; counsel.


2. Information communicated; news. Often used in the plural: advices from an ambassador.





SYNONYMS advice, counsel, recommendation. These nouns denote an opinion as to a decision or course of action: sound advice for the unemployed; accepted my attorney's counsel; will follow your recommendation
advice it what you recieve i.e. you are getting advice about a problem!


advise is say - i advise you to take this option - its when you give advice to someone, you advise them!





hope this helps
advice is a noun, advise is a verb
Advice is a noun -Example- He gave me sound advice


Advise is a verb -Example- He advised me





Detailed explanation of the meaning is as follows:





advice


–noun


1. an opinion/ recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.: I shall act on your advice.


2. a communication, esp. from a distance, containing information: Advice from the Managing Director informs us that the CEO is resigning.


3. an official notification, esp. one pertaining to a business agreement: an overdue advice.





advise


–verb (used with object)


1. to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following: I advise you to be careful.


2. to recommend as desirable, wise, prudent, etc.: He advised secrecy.


3. to give (a person, group, etc.) information or notice (often fol. by of): The investors were advised of the risk. They advised him that this was their final notice.





–verb (used without object)


4. to take counsel; consult (usually fol. by with): I shall advise with my friends.


5. to offer counsel; give advice: I shall act as you advise.
thats the least of your 'english' problems
Advice...'i need to get some advice' - Future tense


Advise....'i had to advise them' - past tense
....and yours, Clint. It's 'that's', not 'thats'......(as in that is).
Advice - ' I would like some advice'





Advise is something you give - 'I would like to advise you that this website is great!'
Advice is something you give, Advise is something you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment